March 21, 2019
We are very pleased to invite you all to attend the Nalacs Thesis Award 2017-2018 on Thursday March 21 in CREA Amsterdam. Come and join the award ceremony for the best MA thesis written on Latin America and the Caribbean, including Pecha Kucha presentations of the nominated students. The event is free of charge and open for all to join!
SCREENING OF TBA + DISCUSSION (17.05 hrs)
THESIS AWARD CEREMONY (17.30-19.00 hrs)
With Pecha Kucha presentations by the nominees!
1. Kafui Adjogatse with his thesis ‘“Por el Color”: Primary School Teaching and the (Re)production of Anti-Black Imaginaries of Mexican National Identity’ (University of Amsterdam / Universiteit van Amsterdam, UvA)
2. Catalina Andrea Gaete Salgado with her thesis ‘Nothing to celebrate: Comparative framing analysis on the commemoration of “the discovery of America” in Spain, Argentina, and the United States’ (UvA)
3. Juan Gutierrez Beltran with his thesis ‘Regeneration through Mobilization: Towards a cohesive and responsive strategic urban regeneration for Bogotá’s Historic Center’ (TU Delft)
4. Mirtha Lorena del Castillo with her thesis ‘Seeking for spatial justice: Strategies, social effects, and citizen responses of Barranco’s urban renewal process’ (CEDLA: Centre for Latin American Research and Documentation)
5. Alexine van Olst with her thesis ‘”Here in the South, we do not like Carnival”: Subnational Identity as a Political Strategy in Southern Brazil’ (CEDLA)
6. Lieke Prins with her thesis ‘Girls to the front: Unravelling and creating socially and politically driven graffiti. An anthropological narrative’ (CEDLA)
7. Luis Reyes Escate with his thesis ‘Is there any water to come? An ethnographic theorization on Subtanjalla’s smallholders political ecology of water scarcity, Ica-Peru’ (CEDLA)
8. Andrea Torrens with her thesis ‘The path from mobilization to reintegration of FARC ex-guerrilleras Colombia’ (UvA)
The award for the best thesis as well as the award for the best presentation will be decided by a jury consisting of Drs. Letty Reimerink (Nalacs), Ralph Sprenkels (Utrecht University), and Ola Plonska (winner of the NALACS Thesis Award 2016-2017).
DRINKS (19.00-20.00 hrs)
Drinks and networking at the bar.
This event is free of charge and open for all to join!