We are very pleased to invite you all to attend the NALACS Thesis Award 2019-2020 on Friday October 22. Come and join the online award ceremony for the best MA thesis written on Latin America and the Caribbean, including Pecha Kucha presentations of the nominated students. This online event is free of charge and open for all to join!
INTRODUCTION (17.00 hrs)
Welcome by Nalacs board member Ria Hulsman, who will be the host of the event.
THESIS AWARD CEREMONY (17.10-19.00 hrs)
With Pecha Kucha presentations by the nominees!
1. Lizzy van Dijk with the thesis ‘Young Venezuelan migrant women in Bogotá. Aspirations, opportunities and challenges’ (Utrecht University)
2. Yuki Fujita with the thesis ‘Rethinking Humanitarian Aid from a Postcolonial/Decolonial Perspective. Shelter Policies after the 2010 Haiti Earthquake’ (International Institute of Social Studies – The Hague)
3. Querine Kommandeur with the thesis ‘Post-Urbanism in San José: Social Exclusion through Transitions in Public Space’ (Utrecht University)
4. Noor Hendriks with the thesis ‘Mistrust and insecurity: conflicts over non-metallic mining in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala. A micro-political analysis of municipal governance, relationships and complexities of large-scale and artisanal mining’ (Wageningen University)
5. Claudia de Laaf with the thesis ‘WE ARE WHAT WE EAT? The Resurgence of Traditional Colombian Cuisine and its Implications for the National Identity’ (Leiden University)
6. Sofía Forchieri with the thesis ‘Cartographies of Implication. Feminicide in Contemporary Latin American Literature’ (Utrecht University)
The award for the best thesis as well as the award for the best presentation will be decided by a jury consisting of Ton Salman (VU University Amsterdam), Jacqueline Gaybor (Erasmus University Rotterdam) and Ricardo Avella (winner of the NALACS Thesis Award 2018-2019).
Zoom Meeting – registration via this form
Attendants who register will receive the link to the meeting via email one day before the event.
The language of the thesis award will be English.
This event is FREE for all to join, but registration via the form above is required.